a graphic reading Her After on top with a profile female face above a caption stating Living Beauty, Consciously and with purpose after life's big struggles, based on the blog HerAfter.com

Rachael Yahne’s HerAfter.com

Rachael Yahne’s career and life have been beautifully abundant. She has fallen in love in London, studied yoga in India and written poetry in Manhattan. Her inspiring blog, HerAfter.com, has been featured by major media outlets like Yahoo. She generously offered to share her story and daily inspirations with FFLB.

FFLB: When were you diagnosed with cancer, and what have treatment and recovery been like/taught you?

Rachael Yahne: I was diagnosed at age 17, while attending college (I started college early). The cancer was stage 4B Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, and had spread throughout my body and even into the bones. Unfortunately, my hometown simply didn’t have the resources to cure it, so a few days after Christmas my mother and I flew to LA to visit a doctor at Cedar Sinai Medical Center. He prescribed an experimental chemo, one that had been used only a few times before on less severe cases. It was a bold move, but we trusted him completely, and the chemo was not only successful, it was presented to a national board of doctors and has since been used to help other people survive. I am a very, very lucky lady to not only have gotten this chemo, but the guidance of that doctor, who saved my life.
Both treatment and recovery have taught me so much, but in vastly different ways. In treatment, I learned the power of the human spirit, what can happen if you really believe in yourself against all odds, and what human connection is really like. Powerful things can happen when two people converse with each other without the pretenses of having to pretend you’re ‘ok’ or that everything will turn out fine. Real love and real understanding can happen in those moments, even between strangers. Other patients taught me that you don’t have to have a long, healthy life ahead of you to be happy right now, being alive, and accepting the gift of this moment. But maybe most importantly, I realized that our hearts really do speak to us. You just have to listen…

Recovery, on the other hand, was for me really the hardest part of cancer. During treatment there is a deadline when all the medicine will stop, when you’ll be out of the hospital, and there’s structure and, strangely, a bit of clarity there. You’re focused. You know what you’re doing and what matters and everything else fades away. But going back to the real world, especially bald at 18, was a challenge. I had a hard time relating to peers, because what mattered to most 18-year-old’s didn’t much matter to me anymore. Recovery is a journey that never ends, but even the heartbreaking moments have taught me so much. I’ve learned to value the good and the bad of life, because I know how lucky I am to have all of it. I’m lucky to fall in love, I’m lucky to have physical pain that isn’t needles and surgery, I’m lucky to have accomplishments and failures. It all teaches me the richness of life, the beauty in every facet of existing, and the entire gamut of emotions -from despair to bliss- to feel when you’re ALIVE. Sure, there’s fear and sometimes there’s anger, but mostly there’s just gratitude. And gratitude is the absolute key to a happy life.

1728fc14-e98c-4bda-a317-cea143e33cd9.jpg

FFLB: How has your support system influenced you?

RY: My support system is a strong one; I come from a family heavily plagued by cancer. We’ve had many members fight it, and some didn’t win their battle. Through it all we’ve really fallen together rather than apart. Through my years in adulthood since cancer, I’ve explored many paths, including non-profits and even the fashion industry. My family support system has always encouraged me to live up to my greatest potential, especially now as I’ve returned back to facing cancer again, this time through writing about it. I’m also lucky to have an incredible partner in life, who believes in my ability to change the lives of women and cancer survivors with my website, HerAfter.com. A support system is of vital importance throughout life. Especially for women, there’s a certain stigma in our culture that if you break down emotionally, or admit the hardships of your journey, it means you’re ‘weak’. But that’s simply not true, there’s great bravery in allowing yourself to release, break down, and build up again stronger. A support system is what helps remind you that you have all the pieces and armor to succeed, and there’s only love and courage in reaching out to others, not weakness.

FFLB: How does the positive attention your blog has received motivate you as both a woman and survivor?

RY: Well, as a survivor it’s incredibly motivating because I realize that there are a lot of patients out there, just like me, who feel that the battle never really ends. It’s a hard thing to explain, but things like having hair again or going about life pretending you don’t realize how brief and precious it is are big and soul-shaking concepts for survivors. I think, in a lot of ways, we don’t really prepare survivors for everyday life because we’re not sure how to yet! But survivor rates are growing, and so should our resources to help them thrive. So when I receive letters back from readers saying that the message of the website resonates with them, I know we’re on the right path, together.

As for women, it’s been a huge boost in not only my personal concept of femininity, but also my outlook on the future of women in this age. Look, there are enough magazines and websites telling women what to wear and how to look and what to say or do. But when I started HerAfter, I truly believed that women didn’t need all that, they needed the reassurance to trust themselves. They don’t need to be told what lipstick to wear, they need to realize why the deserve to cherish their individual beauty. They don’t need to be told what to wear, they need to learn to trust their instincts, and enjoy style as an act of self-expression. Women today have the ability know themselves, to trust themselves, they just need to access the power they already have inside! The basis behind HerAfter is that if we can help women find personal peace, that will create world peace. And you know what? It’s working. The feedback I get from women finding their power to fall back in love with their own lives is incredible. And that motivates me in both knowing I’m fulfilling my purpose, and also that women are waking up. The future looks bright!

d2ca2c13-4d40-4ff2-9892-d457fbc667af.jpg

FFLB: What’s your favorite: Activity, Recipe, Mantra for getting through rough days?

RY: I have a few, because to be honest rough days are always out there for you. It’s not as though you survive cancer and every day is sunshine and rainbows; especially because part of you is constantly questioning ‘why did I survive?’ and ‘what should I do with this short life of mine’? Those are questions we’re all asking in some form or another, survivors or not. My strategy for dealing with the rough days where those questions are bringing me down is two-fold:

First, addressing it head on. Even if that means being uncomfortable, afraid, or even to cry. I believe it’s important that we don’t just try to avoid a bad day or a scary realization, but instead that we experience it and go into it. Allow the feelings to occur, allow the questions to arise, and really take a moment to analyze: why am I feeling this way? Have I done something I don’t feel good about, or am I feeling this way because I’ve let myself down, or someone else has let me down? Going into it is the only way to get through it, and get real clarity.

Second, I like to do some kind of activity that boosts my sense of strength and esteem, so I can be brave enough to solve whatever is going on. For me that usually means a long run outside, or a few moments of meditation, or even just an evening, in bed alone, with some tea and a documentary (I love biographies about women who’ve overcome the odds, for obvious reasons!). What will boost me up is different on different days; sometimes it’s hard work and sweat, and sometimes it’s resting and giving myself a break. Either way, I implement the mantra: “I trust you, universe” behind it all. This crazy life has lead me through some incredible moments! Ultimately, even as I try to sort out my emotions, I trust the universe for putting me wherever I find myself.

FFLB: What advice would you give to a fellow woman diagnosed with cancer?

RY: Oh, I’d tell her so many things! I receive a lot of letters and contacts from women diagnosed, or who are currently battling or have battled. First and foremost, I tell her to honor her journey. When someone is diagnosed with cancer, it is of the utmost importance that they make that battle their own. That they learn to listen to their intuition, to honor their own instincts, and to allow themselves to make their personal battle just that – personal to them. It doesn’t have to look like a Hallmark card or a Komen breast cancer walk-a-thon. It won’t always be smiles, in fact it will be incredibly, incredibly hard. But if she can really allow herself to feel it, to honor whatever emotions come along for her – sadness, bliss, anger, gratitude – I think only then can she realize all there really is in this life is love. Love is greater than anything, and it can exist for you even while you’re feeling angry or scared or nervous or whatever. Love is that big and powerful. If she honors her journey and herself, she can access a love deep within her that will carry her through.

FFLB: Can you explain your Weekly Loveletter? What can women who sign up expect to enjoy?

RY: The weekly loveletter is such a fun new part of HerAfter.com! It all started, truthfully, as a way to reach more women out there. I know there are women out there who need to read some of the articles on the site, and I will do absolutely anything to reach those women because I truly believe they deserve to live their best life! So the loveletter started as my take on a newsletter. What we first read and hear in the morning makes a huge difference in our entire day, including our productivity and our happiness. So the loveletter is designed to give readers and women a chance to read something positive first thing in the morning, for a change! It’s full of great stuff from the site, links to other inspiring articles and sites, plus other fun tid-bits. So even if they never make it to read the weekly post on HerAfter.com, they still get a little dose of inspiration and encouragement delivered right to them. I’m loving this personal touch to the project! And who knows, maybe after she reads something that lifts her up first thing in the morning, it will encourage her to do something else positive for herself that day!

And the loveletter is just the beginning! We’re also releasing a new mini-book edition for kindle and e-readers, to give women a quick guide to living beautifully and consciously! It will have all the essentials they need to transform their lives in everything from beauty to health and wellness to home decorating and even dating. It’s really going to change lives and it’s coming out soon! They can find more info about it on HerAfter.com in the coming weeks.

a woman looking down while another woman has her chin on her shoulder and is facing the camera

Happy Birthday, Amie!

We’re celebrating the birthday of our gorgeous and gracious founder, Amie Satchu. She’s dedicated her heart and soul to supporting Living Beauties, so we asked them to share their birthday wishes with her. These beautiful responses demonstrate just how amazing and treasured Amie is!

unnamed-3

“Best birthday wishes beautiful Amie. Thank you for everything that you do for so many. You truly are an inspiration. Much love from NC.” – Jayne A.

“Happy, Happy Birthday, dear Amie! Much love to you and your beautiful family.” – Cindy S.

“Love you, Amie! I hope you get a little break from mommyhood to have a fun night out! Happy birthday with all our best wishes upon you.” -Vera B.

11225160_10153618844109414_4620262753800546460_n

“Happy Birthday Amie! I hope you had a great birthday day and I’m sure you celebrated in style!” -Judita M.

“Happy Birthday Amie! You are such a blessing to us all. May your next year be filled with lots of joys and memories as you share life with your family and us! Thank you for creating this loving community. We love you!” -Deb K.

“Happiest Birthday to you, Amie. I thank God for you and all that you do. Love you so much.” -Linda M.

“Happy birthday Amie! Love you and miss you.” -Susan RB.

“Happy Birthday Amie and lots of love to a beautiful person, inside and out!” -Leslie S.

“Happy birthday to an amazing woman who does so much for others! XOXO!” -H Carol R.

“Happy Birthday Amie! You are a beautiful woman who has touched my life in an inexplicable way through your kindness generosity and most of all for connecting me to such beautiful Living Beauties! I hope you are having a beautiful birthday! Hope to see you at the Holiday gathering.” -Debbie H.

10527539_10152578317294414_4869507071590371508_n

“Happy Happy Birthday Amie! Wishing you a birthday filled with love & joy that continues on throughout the year! Much love for all you do! Xo” – Sharon H.

“Happy birthday Amie!!” -Ilena B.

“Happy Birthday Aime! Thank you for all you have done for us!” -Norma P.

“Happy birthday Aime. Many blessings to you!” -Emilia F.

Happy Birthday from the entire FFLB community, Amie!

Share more birthday wishes for Amie on Facebook or in the comments, or celebrate by supporting her beloved organization.

a woman in a black dress watching other women getting their makeup done

Sarah’s Story: stila’s Living Beauty

Living Beauty Sarah Lucero, Global Executive Director of Creative Artistry for stila cosmetics, shared special tips with fellow Living Beauty Ada on how to wear comfortable, natural and bright makeup during cancer treatment. Then, Sarah sat down with us to share her incredible story.

Finding The Light Again.

Sarah Lucero of stila’s Journey With Cancer, As Told to Trina Smith.

As a dynamic employee at stila, Sarah Lucero’s whirlwind life had no time for cancer. Then 34, dozens of work projects and world travel entertained her youthful spirit and enthusiasm. In the fall of 2010, a lingering pain in her chest led Sarah to a trail of suspicions about her health. Might the irritation be from a pulled muscle? Bronchitis or a cyst? “I couldn’t ignore it,” explains Sarah. Even during a trip to Australia, Sarah found herself considering her discomfort on a daily basis but never suspected cancer. Upon arriving home, she booked an appointment with a doctor, who further reassured her that cancer was an unlikely possibility. “She said, ‘It’s probably nothing. You’re 34, don’t have family history and seem healthy.’ I thought that it was even better she wasn’t worried, so I wasn’t worried,” explains Sarah.

Testing proved less generous. “We see something that could be cancer,” Sarah was told. “That’s when I didn’t hear anything else,” she says. Sarah went home and awaited what she hoped would be relieving news. The next morning, a doctor called at work to explain that Sarah had Stage 3 breast cancer. Fortunately, Sarah’s support system rallied, from her workplace to new sisterhood at the Foundation for Living Beauty.

Friendly knowledge bolstered Sarah’s spirit during a challenging process. She needed to decide about surgeries including a mastectomy, as well as a full body MRI and an entire course of action for treatment. Seeking multiple opinions helped Sarah gain a well-rounded outlook. “That second opinion changed everything. They helped me understand.” Sarah’s doctor was Kristi Funk, a leading MD at Pink Lotus Breast Center. Responsible for the surgeries of celebrities including Angelina Jolie and Sheryl Crow, Funk guided Sarah through decisionmaking regarding her breasts, surgeries and treatment schedules. Sarah additionally worked with an oncologist, but didn’t neglect a more holistic route. “Acupuncture and herbs were so helpful. They got my immune system strong for treatment and after.”

Sarah started chemotherapy treatment right around Christmas, and later started radiation after a double mastectomy in April. Sarah’s breast and nipple surgeries featured revolutionary work, including the use of her own fat to round out her reconstruction. “I took a few months to like my body,” she says.

Through her treatments, Sarah began to recognize the importance of balancing her emotional wellbeing, work and cancer. Despite her steadfast, in-the-moment focus on her treatments, Sarah’s work life continued to pan out perfectly. “Everything I wanted to do that I was so afraid of missing out on, it turned out okay. Big deals I worked forever to achieve happened. There’s never a good time, but at least I could still do these things. I thought it was over and it really wasn’t.” By living in the “now”, Sarah continued to accept her illness without letting it define her routine or goals.

Sarah’s continued successes at work also translated into solace. “[My bosses] were fabulous,” she explains. Indeed they were, accompanying Sarah to meetings and appointments while offering incredible flexibility and accommodations. “What I started to realize is the energy of people. Worry and fear are negative, and I didn’t want to burden people or be looked at differently…My bosses treated me normally and gave me opportunities but understood I couldn’t predict how I felt each day.”

Despite its challenges and intense drawbacks, Sarah’s breast cancer also presented mysterious blessings. “I really felt in the now,” she explains. “I learned so much about myself. Being patient, not labeling things good or bad. I would never question anything good, so I accepted and allowed everything that happened.”

As Sarah learned the importance of peace and letting go, she found herself introduced to the Foundation for Living Beauty. After attending an FFLB Day of Living Beauty event built with help from her stila coworker Janice, Sarah herself became a Living Beauty. After attending a yoga retreat and interacting with other strong, spirited women, Sarah emerged with an even more powerful mindset. “What I loved when I came to the yoga retreat was I hadn’t been able to stop, take a minute and relax. It taught me that there’s so much more healing that has to happen after physical problems stop. Mentally and emotionally, being able to look back is a different process. There’s no start or ending to healing. I’ll forever try to be healthy and care for my body and beauty. When women say, ‘My skin glows, I look like me!’, it’s a light of how they feel and beauty that comes out. From retreats and yoga, you see your light again.”

Sarah’s experience with cancer has left her with the gift of peaceful present-mindedness. “When you’re there and present, that’s when all the miracles happen.”

Shop special products to benefit FFLB here!  $1 from each purchase will benefit Living Beauties.

Stila and FFLB would love to hear your story. How have you let your inner light shine during a journey with cancer? Share with us using the hashtag #stilalivingbeauty.
Find us on Instagram and Facebook (@stilacosmetics and @livingbeautyorg) for more beautiful shots of Sarah and her story. 
a glass cup of tea set on stop of tea leaves with mint sprigs

Talking With: Art of Tea

We’ve been fortunate to have many great facilitators throughout the years at FFLB. One of our generous supporters has helped us “tea” up for greatness over and over again! Steve Schwartz, known throughout his industry as the “Master Tea Blender”, has always been ready to support our women and team with generosity and immense knowledge. We asked him some pressing questions about his area of expertise. Start a brew, sit back and learn a bit about the art of tea!

FFLB: How do you source your tea?

SS: Direct from origin whenever possible. I have relationships with farmers all across the world and work with them to source the top 2% of the world’s finest teas.

FFLB: Can you offer a brief two-sentence summary about tea’s origin?

SS: We believe true tea should come from Asia. All true teas come from the camellia sinensis evergreen shrub, which is the foundation for white, green, oolong, black, and pu-erh teas. If it isn’t from this shrub, it just isn’t a tea.

FFLB: Are there any types of teas that you recommend avoiding? If so, why?

SS: No, any tea that allows you to take a moment out of a busy day – whether it’s for the taste, health benefits, or simple satisfaction that brewing the perfect cup brings – is a good tea in my eyes.

FFLB: Are loose leaves better than teabags? Vice versa? Or is there no difference?

SS: High-quality, organic loose leaf and specialty teas are typically better in quality and taste.

FFLB: The most enriching tea or type of tea for general well-being is ___.

SS: I deeply enjoy gyorkuro for its grounding effect. It has a clean mouth feel and a grassy finish.

FFLB: Is there a type of tea you would recommend for cancer patients?

SS: I would recommend the process of brewing loose leaf teas in general. The mindfulness used in preparing the water, selecting the leaves, brewing the tea, and finally enjoying the cup can be highly therapeutic.

FFLB: The most popular tea from the Art of Tea collection is ___.

SS: That’s a close one. I’d say it’s a toss-up between our Earl Grey Crème and Classic Black teas.

FFLB: The healthiest and most effective tea sweetener is ___.

SS: I recommend either stevia leaf or raw local honey.

FFLB: How does tea compare to pure water consumption?

SS: 98% of what is consumed while drinking tea is water, making it a great way to hydrate while also experiencing the benefits of whatever tea is brewed. Therefore, a great water source is very important for enhancing the tea experience.

FFLB: Forget jam and bread! The best tea-time snack in your opinion is ___.

SS: Fresh baked, warm chocolate chip cookies.

Follow Art of Tea on Instagram, and take a look at their award-winning teas on artoftea.com!

Featured image. 

a woman showing another woman how to do a yoga pose with their hands in the air

A Moment With Tari Prinster of Yoga 4 Cancer

FFLB has been blessed with the skills and advice of Tari Prinster on multiple occasions, especially in yoga sessions on retreats with Living Beauties. A cancer survivor herself, Tari has been deemed a Selfless Service Leader by Yoga Journal. She graciously answered some of our questions about four basic poses to help patients center themselves and relieve some stresses and aches during treatment. Each pose is accompanied by an illustrated guide. Thank you for your amazing insights, Tari!

1. The Best Pose for activating the lymph and circulatory system to detox the body: Knock-Kneed Cactus. 

Tari emphasized the importance of restorative poses with action quality post-chemotherapy. 

knock kneed catcus

2. A good pose to manage middle back (thoracic) tension: Restorative Fish

restorative fish

3. For Activating Digestion: Cat and Cow (Im. 1) ; For Calming Digestion: Restorative Cobbler (Im. 2)

catcow

restorative cobbler

4. For Peace of Mind and Meditation: A Base Meditation Pose, And Tari’s Advice on Preparing.

meditation

“Taking time to breathe can lead quite naturally into a moment of meditation. To begin, sit in dynamic stillness. You can also meditate lying down, standing, or walking, but a comfortable, upright seat is an ideal physical container to develop a wakeful, relaxed mental state…In meditation, we begin to tame our monkey mind, first my choosing a point of focus. Your focal point can be your breathing, a visualization, a mantra or a guided journey…No matter the state in which you find your mind, be kind to yourself.”

All of this article’s poses and illustrations can be found in Tari’s book, Yoga For Cancer. Add it to your collection for a daily dose of healing, exercise and spiritual wellness! 

Featured photo via Mantra Mag.

Need a mat, blanket or yoga blocks for your practice?

a cup of green tea leaves steeping in water

Tea Time

Tea cleanses and detoxes have been trending all over the internet lately. From celebrities and models to bloggers, it seems like everyone believes in the power of tea. Turns out, a “tea-tox” doesn’t have to be strict or branded to have refreshing health benefits. We recently stumbled across an article by a Marie Claire writer, who tripled her intake of daily tea and saw incredible results. By drinking 9-10 cups of tea a day, including heavy green tea consumption, the author felt softer skin and majorly improved hydration, as well as a calmed sensation throughout the day.

Fukamushi Sencha

With such enticing benefits, we decided to research the benefits and rules of tea in regards to cancer. Both green teas and black teas contain great antioxidant boosts. Tea polyphenols have also been proven in lab tests to help lessen UV damage, modulate immune systems and protect against tumor development. One study also showed slightly positive effects of tea on cancerous oral lesions. Another study demonstrated that among participants drinking 10 cups or more of green tea daily, risks of cancer incidences decreased. The study also revealed the tea’s cardiovascular benefits. While many other studies have been inconclusive as to tea’s specific cancer fighting benefits, it has been deemed a very safe means of hydration, particularly when decaffeinated.

We’re pleased to enjoy Art of Tea at FFLB. With the ultimate fresh brews and some gorgeous “blooming” teas, they light up our day and keep us hydrated. We’re sure they’ll do the same for you as well! Halo - Award Winning

a woman in front of a colorful geometric wall doing a yoga pose

Tari Prinster and Yoga 4 Cancer

Tari_Prinster-good-karma-300x300

We are so grateful to present a new series of tips for Living Beauties, their supporters and anyone wishing for a healthy lifestyle! Yoga is a very important experience at the Foundation for Living Beauty. Many of our retreats feature restorative yoga exercises, often led by yoga and cancer expert Tari Prinster. Tari will generously be helping us display some healing yoga poses on the blog.

In the midst of an incredibly athletic lifestyle, Tari was shocked to find herself diagnosed with cancer at age 56. On the road to recovery, she found that yoga gave her spiritual fulfillment while allowing release in her body. Tari recovered in 2003, but continues to share the gift of yoga with other cancer patients and survivors. She has earned a nomination for the Yoga Journal award of Good Karma. She sees both yoga and cancer as great teachers that introduce both the acceptance of uncertainty and the understanding of one’s self.

299789_515326865177267_2028152548_n

For more about Tari and Y4C, check out this introduction video, as well as her website! We will be featuring more expertise from Tari, including healing pose ideas and meditation tips. Stay tuned!