Every Wednesday, we’ll be bringing you a list of amazing, inspiring things to enjoy and share. Know someone who needs a pick me up? Need a moment of encouragement or peace on your journey? We’ll pick 5 stories, photos, songs, recipes or meditations that will lift you up today. This week, our theme is Girl Power! Our list includes a couple of awesome accomplishments this week by women. We hope they uplift and inspire you!
Before we begin, a quick call-out: We would love to feature your work, Living Beauties! Are you an experienced or amateur artist, singer, poet, musician or photographer? Absolutely any uplifting form of self expression would make a beautiful addition to our weekly showcase. Send any pieces to firstname.lastname@example.org!
1. Every woman has special talents and gifts. With nurturing, they can’t be tamed. Here’s to Misty Copeland, the first African American principal dancer at the American Ballet Theatre. Despite being told she should quit dancing because her body wasn’t “right”, Misty stuck with her passion and turned it into fulfillment. Take time to do something fulfilling today, whether it’s singing a song, closing your eyes and imagining a story or doing a relaxing yoga pose. Or, try some beginning ballet exercises.
2. It’s surprisingly chilly for a Southern California summer day. We stumbled upon this recipe by Aromatherapy Thymes (who will be contributing to our blog soon!). Why not try it out and let it comfort you in this peaceful weather! Note: You can try soy or almond milk if you’re avoiding dairy! Warmer where you are? Try a unique fruit and kale smoothie.
2 Cups Whole Milk (or milk substitute)
3 ounces Dark Chocolate and 1 Ounce Milk Chocolate
1/4 Teaspoon Lavender Buds
Heat milk and lavender over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside to steep for 5 minutes. Strain mixture and return to saucepan. Over medium heat, add chocolate. Stir til melted and incorporated. Remove from heat, whisk for 10-20 seconds and pour into your favorite mug or bowl.
3. In some moments, we all need a “Fight Song.” Here’s to positivity, strength and beauty!
4. Here are some stunning art pieces by Living Beauties from our Heart Healing Retreat back in February. So much talent in our community to enjoy!
5. The US Women’s National Soccer Team won the World Cup this week, and are being rewarded with a coveted parade spot in NYC. The Canyon of Heroes in Manhattan has hosted legendary American heroes-now, the US women will earn the parade route’s first female-headline in 55 years. After the most-watched soccer game in US history, these girls are ready to celebrate! Talk about girl power. (Photo: NY Times/AP)